Powered by Blogger.

Mastering Trends: 3 Summer Trends to Scrutinize

By 7:10 PM , , , , , , , , , , , ,

A general rule that I have for myself and try to stress in my posts is to not follow trends blindly. Looking at something that walks down the runway and incorporating it into your wardrobe requires time and scrutinization. I picked out a few Summer trends to be weary of as you look to update your wardrobe:

1). The Drop-Waist

The drop-waist I've seen quite a lot of. The problem with the drop-waist, is the fact that the waist sits so low. It lengthens your torso and stunts your legs, which tends to be counterproductive (especially for short girls, like me). The drop-waist can have a tendency to look dumpy because it isn't fitted at your proper waist line. Don't be discouraged, though. There are very cute ones. Opt for ones with volume toward the bottom. This gives shape to the dress and to you, so it doesn't look like a bag. Or look for dresses with a more fitted top. And just be sure to try it on before you take it home.

Opt for:



Drop waist




1). Reiss panel dress 
2). Dorothy Perkins dropwaist dress, $47
3). Miss Real lacy dress, $47 
4). Alice + Olivia boat neckline dress 

2). Lucite Heels

Lucite heels I'm very weary of because of the implications it has. For me, I can't get stripper out of my head when I see them. However, I have seen some beautiful shoes that are a product of this season's lucite trend. Mastering this trend is pretty easy. I'd shy away from a platform and a stiletto. I'd try a chunkier heel or a wedge instead. In the words of Ron Burgundy, you stay classy.

Opt for:

1). Christian Louboutin platform shoes 
2). Sigerson Morrison suede leather shoes 
3). Loeffler Randall gold sandals
4). Jeffrey Campbell sandals 

3). The Crop Top

If you're worried about the way your midriff will look I believe it can be done in a way that is flattering and less revealing. Pair your crop top with a high-waisted skirt or shorts, that way you're only showing a little bit of skin (maybe a half inch or so). I think it looks incredible and is more appropriate and flattering on most body types when done that way.

Try:


Mara Hoffman / Monki high-waisted denim shorts, $40 / Converse s, $94 / Madewell



What'd ya think?

You Might Also Like

0 comments